G.Skill Royal gold 4600c18 - eine Kurzreview

All memory news
websmile
Administrator

G.Skill Royal gold 4600c18 - eine Kurzreview

Postby websmile » Sat 18. Jan 2020, 19:03

Hi and welcome to my short review of the 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal Gold DDR4-4600 C18-22-22-42 RGB memory kit.

1. Optics and specifications

The G.Skill F4-4600C18D-16GTRG come in a black box with a small G.Sill print and logo on the front, in the back you find address and contact info plus the stickers with model number and specifications. When you remove the black Gskill labeld banderole which keeps the box closed, you can open it and find the two sticks in it plus a sticker and a cleaning clothe for the heatspreaders. The modules themselves come with a golden plated, shining aluminium heatspreader, a crystal-effect top and 8 LEDs per stick which generate the lighting effects so many reviews talked about. Very unique, very pretty but non of my business at this test.

Technical information, the sticks use the modern A2 short trace PCB layout and a 10layer PCB plus Samsung B-die ICs, specifications are DDR4-4600 C18-22-22-42 @1,45v which is also programmed at XMP at CR2.

2. Tests and overclocking

Method and test system

The kit was tested using Geekbench3, CB R11.5 benchmark and Superpi 32m in windows, apart from this all settings that are OK for daily use had to pass DOS memtest which shows errors independent from cpu or other hardware or software influences, checks the whole amount of Ram and is first choice to check the memory itself. We used 64bit operating systems, no maxmem (limited use of memory) set. The results are showing the potential of the sticks, full stability depends on IMC quality as well and normally it might need a minor bump in Vdimm to pass all possible windows memtest programs.

Hardware

Asus Maximus Apex XI Z390 BIOS 0093

Intel Corei5-8086K

2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal Gold DDR4-4600C18-22-22-42 1,45v (F4-4600C18D-16GTRG)

Seasonic Focus 1050W

Results for daily use (max 1,5v)

The first test was the simple loading of the xmp, this was easy and we did not even bother to make screenshots of the tests. After this I checked several settings and was happy to see that these sticks, unlike tons of other kits I tested, are capable of running CR1 at DDR4-4000 and above, so I went to work and got the following results.

DDR4-4133 C15-15-15-35 1T with tightend subtimings

Image Image

DDR4-4400 C16-16-16-36 1T with tightened subtimings

Image Image

DDR4-4600 C17-17-17-39 1T with tightened subtmings (sole test with maxmem, but fully stable also for win 10 without)

DDR4-4800 C18-20-20-42 2T XMP settings

Image Image

On a side note, around 4800 is maximum stability I can get on this system, I had to use above 1,4v SA and IO for imc voltages which still is less than auto, so be careful when you test high frequency memory with or without XMP. I had 1,45v io and 1,6v sa as auto settings when I checked this for boot.

Benchmark settings above 1,5v

On top, I did a few tests for benchmarks settings on won 7 x64 with maxmem enabled, no memtest, only GB3 and R11.5 plus some old XTU.

DDR4-4133C12-12-12-28 1T

DDR4-4800 C14-14-14 28 2t /C14-13-13-28 2T

The kit worked fine on this, 1,96v for 4800c14 GB3 was lowest limit without fine tuning, and there was some headroom left to raise the bar.

Conclusion and final thoughts

An oc-review is not the place to discuss optics and rgb-effects, but the golden mirror-finished heatspreaders plus the crystal light effects are very attractive assets for modders, gamers and enthusiasts who love this, so I won´t ignore that these are some of the best looking mems on the market. If you like stuff like this, no idea, but it can´t be ignored here because it is a simple fact.

On the oc potential, I was impressed especially for 24/7 oc, it is quite uncommon at least on my test system with a not top binned 8086K and a good but not binned board that I am able to run 4600 at CR1T and DDR4-4800 easily at 1,5v and below.

For benchmarking, those proved to be useful as well and delivered solid results, if you are willing to use beautiful stuff like this maybe even on cold is another question. I did all tests on an old AIO and a 1200 rpm fan on mems which is emulating normal airflow in a case.

Now let´s see my pros and cons.

Pro

Excellent daily performance out of the box.

Offers performace boost via oc at CR1 and tightened timings

Scalable RGB lighting for modders and performance enthusiasts

Attractive mirror-finished heatspreaders

Limited life long manufacturer warranty

Cons

Highend bin costs near 400 Euros in Europe

If you want to run full specs, limited choice of motherboards and needs strong Memory controller (mainly not a con but an advice to check QVLs and be aware of the facts)

Thanks for reading

You can find the kit at the G.Skill website https://www.gskill.com/product/165/299/ ... 6GB-(2x8GB)

Return to “Memory”